Kiplinger’s Personal Finance ranked Union University in the top 10 private universities in the South. The rankings included 10 public universities, 10 private universities and 10 liberal arts colleges.
“Among the many recognitions that have been granted to Union in recent years, the Kiplinger ranking is certainly a high water mark for this university,” said David Dockery, university president. “It is a testament to a magnificent faculty and great students.”
Among the 10 private schools elected in the South, two of them are in Tennessee: Union and Vanderbilt University.
The other institutions listed include Duke University, Emory University, Elon University, Wake Forest University, University of Miami, Rollins College, Samford University and Centenary College of Louisiana.
“It is a good word about a large group of people who have worked tirelessly for many years to help advance Union’s commitment to excellence, and it says that a Union education is one of the best in the South, indeed, one of the finest in the country,” said Dockery. “We can all rejoice in hearing this good news.”
The ranking is based upon quality, value, size and price of the college.
Other specific factors include student admission rate, test scores, graduation rates and student-faculty ratio.
“I think the recognition should be a magnet for prospective students and families in coming years, to encourage them to give Union every serious consideration,” Dockery said.
KIPLINGER’S TOP 10 PRIVATE UNIVERSITIES IN THE SOUTHEAST
1. Duke University in Durham, N.C.
2. Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tenn.
3. Emory University in Atlanta, Ga.
4. Elon University in Elon, N.C.
5. Wake Forest University in
6. University of Miami in Miami, Fla.
7. Rollins College in Winter Park, Fla.
8. Samford University in Birmingham, Ala.
9. Cemetenary College of Louisiana in Shreveport, La.
10. Union University in Jackson, Tenn.