Pick up homemade pottery at campus pottery sale Dec. 6

Pottery sale
Pottery Sale
Photo by Kathleen Hartsfield
On Dec. 6, the Student Union Building hallway will be brimming with handmade pottery.
The Christmas Pottery Sale, hosted from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., will include pieces from art students, alumni and professors. Largely comprised of student work, the pieces being sold represent a semester of hard work.
The event is hosted by the Union Potters’ Guild, a student-run organization that sponsors workshops and trips for ceramics students.
The Potters’ Guild receives 30 percent of the revenue and the artists keep the remaining 70 percent. Proceeds from the semiannual pottery sale fund workshops and trips that the Potters’ Guild hosts.
For the past 17 years, the sale has given the Union community access to purchase student artwork.
Candace Gooch, senior art major and vice president of the Union Potters’ Guild, is in her third semester of ceramics and will be selling her pots at the sale.
“The pottery sale is the most fun,” Gooch said. “You see how interested people are in this because they come in from the community.” Gooch said the pottery sale is where the hard work pays off.
“Ceramics is the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do, but it’s also the most rewarding; it’s very strenuous on your body,” Gooch said. “I feel like it gives me purpose because one of the big things in ceramics for me is the community it builds and the platform it builds to evangelize with other people.”
This platform occurs clearly at the ceramics sale each semester. The buyer can meet the person who made the piece he is purchasing.
Image courtesy of Cardinal & Cream|Cardinal & Cream