Five Union students and the Cardinal & Cream website all received awards at the ‘Best of the South’ banquet during this year’s Southeast Journalism Conference, which Union hosted Feb. 21-23.
The conference is open to eight states from Tennessee to Florida, and Union students competed against 176 students from 31 colleges and universities.
- Holly Ann Jay, senior intercultural studies and sociology major, tied for second in newspaper page layout. She is the Cardinal & Cream’s former Life editor.
- Amelia Krauss, senior journalism major, placed third in feature writing. She is news editor of the Cardinal & Cream.
- Katherine Burgess, sophomore journalism major, tied for eighth place in opinion and editorial writing. She is managing editor of the Cardinal & Cream.
- Beth Byrd, senior journalism major, placed fifth in magazine writing. She is editor-in-chief of the Cardinal & Cream.
- Alex Brown, who graduated with a degree in journalism in fall 2012, placed fifth in multimedia reporting. He was the 2011-2012 editor-in-chief of the Cardinal & Cream.
In addition to these awards, the Cardinal & Cream website tied for 9th place in the best college website category.
This year’s SEJC featured several speakers such as Union’s own Julia Duin, associate professor of journalism, and award-winning reporter, Kim Lawton, managing editor and correspondent for “Religion & Ethics NewsWeekly” on PBS.
— Matthew Cole, Staff Writer