By Wade Evans
With spring break and warmer weather ahead, it is only sensible to shine some light on 10 artists to check out this spring. These are some suggestions of bands and artists on the rise, along with a few who have new music coming out.
1. Two Door Cinema Club has been around for a while but because of the recent buzz about their single “What You Know,” Two Door Cinema Club has found its music gaining popularity in the United States. Their album “Tourist History” has been out since last year and is currently selling for $7.99 on iTunes. For those who like MGMT or Passion Pit, check out this band.
Check out “What You Know” or “This is the Life”
2. The Dangerous Summer is a pop-punk alternative band from Maryland that has been under the radar until recently. Headlining a North American Tour this spring and Warped Tour this summer, The Dangerous Summer has found themselves poised for a breakthrough year. Their latest CD, “Reach for the Sun,” was rated as the No. 4 album of the year by Alternative Press magazine in 2009. For those looking for chill and warm rock, The Dangerous Summer is a great choice for a drive to the beach.
Check Out “Where I Want To Be”
3. Lupe Fiasco has been around for a while with his two previous hits “Kick, Push” and “Superstar.” His new CD “Lasers,” which he has spent two years working on in the studio, dropped March 8. “The Show Goes On” is currently the No. 34 single on iTunes and with recent appearances on “Jimmy Kimmel” and “Conan,” Lupe Fiasco’s latest album is certainly one to pick up.
Check Out “The Show Goes On” and “Words I Never Said”
4. Wiz Khalifa is the rapper behind the popular hit “Black and Yellow.” This Pittsburgh rapper has had a breakout year since releasing a single in 2011. His debut album “Rolling Papers” hits stores March 29 and has already had three singles.
Check Out “Roll Up” and “In the Cut”
5. Since Forever is a Hendersonville-based band that has grown into Nashville’s face for Rocketown and the pop-punk music scene. Last year, Since Forever went on the Warped Tour for a short stint and was voted as the “Best Unsigned Band” of 2010 by AP Magazine. Since Forever recently booked a spring North American Tour with Family Force 5.
Check Out “Get Low” or “Coast and You”
6. KiD CuDi has been on the airwaves since his 2009 hit “Day n’ Nite” and has had two CDs go platinum in the past two years. His music is perfect for spring break and chilling out this summer. He is also headlining Vanderbilt’s Rites of Spring Festival, April 16.
Check Out “Up, Up, and Away” and “Erase Me”
7. “Woe Is Me” is good for those who enjoy heavier rock. The RISE Records band has gained recent exposure and success after being signed on for the Warped Tour this summer and going on tour with The Devil Wears Prada. This band is for those who like The Devil Wears Prada, We Came as Romans, or A Day to Remember.
Check Out “Delinquents” and “Hell or High Water”
8. A good go-to band at work or in the car has to be Parachute. Hailing from Virginia, these 2008 graduates have been on tour non-stop with the likes of the Plain White T’s and The All-American Rejects. Their hit “She is Love” broke onto the Billboard top-100 in late 2008 and early 2009 from their debut CD “Losing Sleep.” Their sophomore album, “The Way it Was,” releases April 12 and is poised to have many hits.
Check out “Ghost” and “Strange World”
9. All Time Low has been nothing short of a success since their first EP release, “Put Up or Shut Up,” in 2007. Multiple hits, concerts, show appearances, magazine covers and two albums later, All Time Low is set to release their first major-record-label album, “Dirty Work,” through Interscope Records. This band is for anyone who likes Blink-182.
Check Out “Coffeshop Soundtrack” or “Poppin’”
10. Go Radio is my last recommendation for this spring. Jason Lancaster, formerly a member of Mayday Parade, and his band have gained a following since their brief stint with the Warped Tour last summer and constant touring and promotion. Their debut album, “Lucky Street,” was released March 1 and has been doing well with sales on iTunes. A co-headliner of this summer’s Warped Tour, Go Radio is set to have a huge year. Check Out “Any Other Heart” or “Goodnight Moon”